Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Trip to Oregon

I’ll admit, I was really nervous to take Shasta to Oregon. 10 hours in the car is a LONG time for anyone, but for a baby it could be pretty miserable. I worried for nothing, as usual. She did SO well. She pretty much slept the whole way. We rode with Sally, Jake, and Carter until Boise where we picked up Lacey’s car and then we rode with her so she didn’t have to be alone.

We almost died twice as we were pulling into Pendleton. No joke. And they both happened one right after the other. The highway had two lanes and we were in the left one trying to go around a semi. We were about halfway up the length of the truck when it decided to move into our lane to go around the semi in front of him. It was pretty much a point of no return for the semi. He couldn’t swerve back into his own lane to avoid hitting us and his breaks were probably already hot from all the downhill driving out of the mountain. By the time Lacey and I realized what was happening there wasn’t much room for mistakes. She slammed on her breaks (and her horn!) and pulled to the side to keep from being hit. When I think about it there were so many things that could have gone wrong. When she pulled to the side she could have hit the gravel and we could have rolled down the hill, we obviously could have been hit by the semi altogether, there could have been a car behind us that when Lacey slammed on her breaks could have hit us from behind. The list goes on. We both feel so blessed that nothing bad happened. Then after we were clear of the semi and safely tucked back behind a flat bed truck, a huge bored flew off the COMPLETELY EMPTY truck right towards us. Luckily it bounced to the other side of the road instead of right at us. Seriously, talk about feeling like it’s your time to go and you still have a mission to complete all at the same time. I don’t think my heart could have handled anymore surprises!

Anyway, we made it to Lacey’s house safe and sound. I had never been to Oregon. I was surprised how much it felt like Arizona. I thought it would have been more like the Midwest since it rains all the time, but it’s pretty desert-y. Lacey has a really cute house. Be excited for her to post pictures! I would, but I didn’t take any. Our visit felt really short, but at the same time I was ready to get home to Nick. He didn’t get to come because he had to work. He spent a week with me in the hospital when I had Shasta and a week at home once I was finally released, then took nearly two weeks off when she finally came home from the NICU so he really doesn’t have any spare vacation time.

It was fun to get to spend so much time with my family and see Lacey’s new life in Oregon. I'm totally jealous that she gets to have so many new experiences!
I’ve decided she has a magical house because Shasta rolled from tummy to back TEN TIMES while we were there and Lacey’s baby started rolling from back to tummy which is something she's been waiting to see happen for a while now! Since we’ve been back home Shasta’s only rolled once. Nick still hasn't seen it. He’s only seen the video I sent him. He’ll see it soon enough! Can you even believe how high she's holding up her head? Completely new development. Before she barely hovered over the floor, then we get to Lacey's house and BAM! There must be something in the Oregon dust.

Stay tuned for the surprise we came home to from Nick!

No comments: