Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Report on the First Trimester

So far pregnancy hasn't been quite what I expected. I knew it would be hard, but there was part of me that hoped I would be one of the lucky ones that wouldn't get sick! I don't get sick very often and especially not stomach flu sick so puking for the last 6 weeks or so has been quite a challenge. I haven't been puking a ton, on average 2-3 times a week, but before getting pregnant the last time I puked was probably 3 years ago, possibly 4, so as you can imagine it's taken a toll on me.

I lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks, possibly more but I didn't know my exact weight before getting pregnant. I was so nauseas it was hard to eat anything for fear it'd come right back up! My doctor gave me some medicine after my 10 week appointment, but it didn't really help much. Then a day came where I couldn't keep anything down, it didn't matter what it was. I called the doctor's office to see if they would give me a stronger drug and they told me I had to go to the ER to get rehydrated. I didn't think going to the ER was necessary, but Nick took me anyway and it turned out to be a really good thing. They gave me 2 bags of fluid and a shot of Zofran. The next day I had a splitting headache (a side effect from the Zofran), but I felt amazing! I'll take a headache over nausea any day of the week!

Since my little trip to the ER I've felt considerably better. I haven't puked for 2 weeks! Woot Woot! Don't get me wrong, I've felt crappy all day everyday still and a few times I've thought I'm going to throw up, but I've had an appetite (somewhat) and I'm drinking way more than I was before.

Overall, the first trimester has been anything but fun. It's made me wonder how anyone can do this more than once! But I'm really excited for the end result. I can't wait to find out what we're having. Your guess is as good as mine at this point. Sometimes I think we'll have a girl because I've said if we have a boy then I'm never getting pregnant again! And sometimes I think we'll have a boy because Nick and I can't agree on any boy names. Then I'm back to girl again because we have 5 nieces and no nephews in Nick's family. And then I'm back to boy because 2 of my sisters just had boys in October. I have no idea what we're having and although I think it'd be fun for Nick (and Wedge) to have a boy, I really go back and forth between what I'd prefer!

4 comments:

Lacey said...

The second trimester gets easier! And i was barely sick at all with the third! It'll get more fun once you find out what your having and can start to plan!

I vote boy btw your pregnancy reminds me of mine

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

I'm sorry you've been so sick. It doesn't make it any easier for those of us who haven't decided if they are having kids or not. I'm scared of all the pregnancy stuff- you are so brave!

AN Petersen said...

I dont think pregnancy is ever what any one expects, unless you have already had a child and are having another one, but even then it changes with each one. darn babies. :) im glad you are feeling better though. and i cant wait to see what it is.... im voting girl, but only because i like buying dresses. :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

I'm so sorry my friend!! Hopefully it will get EVEN better than before. I hear you though - with both Claire and Linus I was SICK SICK, I got lucky this time around and only threw up 3 times total. But with Claire I puked almost every day. :( I'm sorry about the weight loss too. Somehow I have the talent for gaining weight despite throwing up. Take care and feel better!!