Friday, July 13, 2012

Cache Valley Relay

Tonight Shasta and I made an appearance at the Cache Valley community Relay for Life. It started at 2pm, but we didn't get there until about 6:30 due to Shasta desperately needing a nap! We stayed for a little over an hour and a half and we would have stayed longer, but a storm was rolling in and I didn't want to get caught in the middle of it.

The sad thing is, in our hour and a half being there we only completed 2 half laps and 1 full lap. I say half lap because there is a trail about halfway through that allows you to cut across and not make a full lap around. The first half lap we did with some friends who I've been on the USU relay committee with for the past several years. After they left Shasta and I did another half lap which took us nearly 45 minutes to complete because I let her walk the whole way and everything is a distraction. Then we did a full lap with Shasta in the stroller. It went much quicker, but about halfway through the wind kicked in and it got a little crazy.

Going to the community event makes me REALLY want to do a team next year. It's such a different feel from the college relay and the mom in me makes me want to be around families more than college students! It looked so fun, and part of me wishes I was out there with them in this crappy relay weather rather than sitting here typing this post while listening to the rain hit the windows.

These pictures are from my phone so they're not the best quality. They looked better until I enlarged them. I don't know what's worse, a tiny picture you can't see or a larger picture that's blurry. I opted for blurry.

Shasta walking a lap. Can she get any cuter? She wore those sunglasses the whole way. Everyone seriously adored her and people LOVED that she had a on committee shirt. Thanks Erin for making it for her!

Still doing her lap. Now with crackers instead of raisins!
 It's kind of funny because my friend Erin took an adult committee shirt and made it into a onesie for Shasta. The funny part is she couldn't fit the whole "committee" word on the back so it says 'mmitt". If you didn't know any better you may think she's a Mitt Romney supporter! :)
Oh but wait, let's see what other snacks I can find...

Once the wind hit, this is what every campsite looked like. All team members holding onto their tents so they don't blow away. It was pretty much hilarious!

I'm hoping to do one more year on the USU relay committee, but then after that I may have to switch to the community event.

If anyone wants more information about relay, hit me up with your questions. I would love to help you get involved. Everyone can think of someone who's had cancer, therefore, Relay is for everyone!

No comments: