Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Weaning Update

So far weaning seems to be going well. The last two weeks I've cut nursing down to when she wakes up in the morning and before she goes to bed at night. She takes a sippy cup of milk pretty well, but sometimes she absolutely refuses.

Tonight was the first time I didn't nurse her before she went to bed and I've gotta tell ya, it's a little bitter sweet. When I gave her a sippy cup of milk she wanted nothing to do with me. She sat in her little rocking chair with a book and a blanket and drank her milk. She sat in my lap a few times, but only for a few seconds before she went back to her rocking chair. It made me super sad that I didn't get to put her to sleep. I didn't get to cuddle with her, stroke her hair, or hum while I rocked her. And she didn't play with my hair which she does most nights, stroke my face, or look up at me with sleepy eyes. 

Tonight made me feel like maybe I'm not ready to wean her. Just typing this post makes me a little teary-eyed. I've had to accept her turning one, walking, and ultimately becoming a toddler, but nursing her still gave her that infant/baby side that I so badly miss. I'm not sure I'm fully ready to accept that she's no longer a baby and is in fact going to grow up.

2 comments:

AN Petersen said...

Weaning can be kind of sad and im sorry its so hard for you. Try to think of your future baby that you will be able to nurse and the fact that your not done nursing all together, just for now. Once you are totally done and realize that she is still a happy toddler that loves you, you'll enjoy having your body just yours for awhile.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Oh, I ALWAYS cry when I wean a baby. It makes me sad to let go of that last part of babyhood!! It's a hard decision.