Saturday, July 24, 2010

Prepare To Laugh...And Maybe Cry A Little!

I'm supposed to be doing homework right now, but I think blogging has become my new way of putting off the inevitable. Hence the reason why I've updated as often as I have in the past week! But today I can't help but post these pictures of Wedge. I think I laughed for 10 minutes straight and they never lose their humor. Every time I look at them I bust up again! These are my new "having a bad day and need a good laugh" pictures. I'm pretty sure they're gonna get framed or scrapbooked at some point too.

First a little background. My poor Wedgie has been very sick the last four days. His days have consisted of throwing up and sleeping. Wednesday and Thursday I couldn't get him to eat or drink anything. I thought for sure he would drink some chicken broth because it's pretty smelly and he likes smelly things, but he wanted nothing to do with it. Finally on friday I got him to eat a little bit of boiled chicken (there was rice too, but he managed to eat around it and what little rice stuck to the chicken he spit back out) and although he dry-heaved some, he was able to keep it down. He still wouldn't drink anything though so we've been syringing water into his mouth to try to keep him hydrated. We took him to the vet on friday and they wanted to take x-rays, but it was $96 so we opted for the next best thing. They gave him some barium for his tummy and said it should push out whatever is causing him to feel sick and by saturday he should be better.

Well it's saturday and he's still not better. I got him to eat more chicken AND rice today, but he threw it all back up. (And then tried to eat it again which was pretty disgusting!) We think there must be something lodged in his throat or something blocking his stomach so it looks like we'll have to get those x-rays after all. The crappy part is it means paying for the visit twice. Yesterday's visit consisted of the cost of the vet visit, a fecal smear, and two different medications for a total of $82. Now we'll have to get x-rays and another vet visit on top of that. We're holding off until monday to see if his condition gets any better and because if we take him in today we have to pay an additional fee for an emergency call-in because they're closed on saturdays. Lame. This puppy has been anything but cheap!

Anyway, onto the funny part of this post. So while Wedge was eating chicken and rice he was having a hard time with the rice sticking to his face. These pictures are seriously exactly how the rice stuck to him. Nick and I didn't stage them in anyway, honest! Brace yourself, you're gonna laugh!!!

Those are not his teeth, that's definitely rice! He's a little vampire. Awww, my very own Edward! :)
Here's a close up. Seriously, isn't it hilarious? And this isn't even the best one! But look how sad his eyes look. Poor puppy. I wish he felt better.
Hahaha! Doesn't that just make you laugh?!?! He looks like he's wearing halloween teeth!
And a close up of course. Oh my gosh... maybe it's just funny to me, but my eyes are watering right now from laughing. Nick says now we have pictures to show his dates when he's older!

And I'm over it, okay...

...onto sadder news. Captain Hook isn't going to make it. I took advice from some concerned readers to try to nurse him back to health, but I'm pretty sure he has terminal cancer.
Band-Aids don't fix everything regardless of what any child says! I also put a stick down in the soil to help prop him up since that's what you do to broken trees. But I think it only helped the infection spread.
Although there isn't much sunshine in this picture, at a certain time of day the sun shines directly on him, but it probably wasn't enough. And I was too afraid to leave him outside because he's in a glass vase and it's been really windy lately. Plus we have yard workers out there pretty much daily and I don't think they'd be too cautious of Captaion Hook or his health condition.
The base is completely black and working it's way towards the top. Before I know it there won't be any green left and that's when we'll pull the plug. I'm thinking we only have a few weeks left with him at best.

So there it is. I have a dying cactus and a very sick puppy. But to brighten the mood again let's take another peek at those vampire teeth pictures!!!

5 comments:

Lacey said...

Haha poor Wedgie... Cade says the reason he is sick is because all the other puppies are laughing at his hair cut! I know my husbands mean! I cant believe he just sits there and lets you take pictures of him! Khronk hated the camera! I hope he gets better soon... poor Wedgie

Sara said...

Don't those pictures seriously make you laugh?! Every time I look at them it cracks me up and I've seriously looked at them 100 times now! Is his haircut really that bad? I'm used to it now so I don't notice it, but I wonder what other people think.

Lacey said...

The hair cut does make me giggle.. (granted my opinion is slighly flawed having never owned a small dog before) but its just that his paws, tail, ears, and face still have longer fur... so it makes us giggle!

Bethany said...

So, Wedge is cuter than the movie version of Edward!
LOOOOOVE IT!

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

Poor puppy... he looks so skinny, too. Let him run around outside and eat some grass, it is supposed to help their tummies. And I love the rice on his face! That is way too cute!