Tuesday, July 20, 2010

You know what they say...

I'm pretty sure there's this world renowned, yet unspoken rule that before you can have kids you have to keep a plant alive. But let's be honest, who can actually keep a plant from dying? I mean, what's the life expectancy on plants anyway? I'm pretty sure potted plants are only expected to live a few weeks. If you make it past that you're doing good... definitely ready for babies!

Sadly, keeping plants alive is not a talent I have. No green thumb here. I currently have two plants that we've had since November which is probably pretty good. They have their ups and downs though. They get very sad and droopy and that's when I remember to water them. Then they're happy again! They currently have several dead leaves on them. I should probably pluck those off, but I'm doing good to water them regularly so I'll try to remember the next time I water them.

This is a good day for this plant. His name is Peter for those that were wondering. He has pretty big leaves sitting on tall stems so naturally they sag. But he probably needs some water too...!

Cute Wedgie face aside, notice the dead leaves on this plant! Her name is Wendy.

Unfortunately, my non-existant green thumb is about to get a little browner. Browner? Is that even a word? Uh, more brown? I guess that's better! And would brown be the opposite of a green thumb? Does brown represent death and green represent life when refering to plants?? We'll pretend! So, possibly the easiest plant in the history of history to keep alive; takes little to no attention, doesn't need watered hardly ever... and I mean hardly ever, likes months apart, and pretty much just soaks up the sun all day, I managed to kill. And I'm actually REALLY sad about it because it's my favorite, most thoughtful gift Nick has ever given me. I managed to keep it alive over a year which is good, but still very embarrassing when I reveal what kind of plant I'm talking about.

If you haven't already guessed...

...it's a cactus.

He once stood straight up and down. Now He's fallen over. And if you shake the vase the cactus wiggles. It didn't used to. His name is Captain Hook. Random side note: look at my cute puppy in the background. He always perches in the window and watches people outside. Awww! He's so cute! ...and a little creepy! :)

Notice all the needles are brown. Pretty good sign He's dying.

And what the heck is that??? I don't remember much from my Arizona history slash learn about the desert classes, but I'm pretty sure cacti don't have goop inside them. Maybe I should google it...!

I was missing home one day and feeling kind of in limbo wishing I could see my family. They were facing some tough times and I knew it would be 2.5 years before I would get to see my brother again. I wanted to be there to support him and his family and be there for my family with what we were all about to go through. It wasn't the first time we were facing the situation at hand, but going through it twice didn't make it any easier. I probably took it the hardest because I'm not there and because I think I probably carry the most compassion for others in my family. I wanted to shelter Nick from what I was feeling and going through, which is silly since he has WAY more life experiences than I do, but this one was one he hadn't gone through and I wanted to keep it that way. He knew I was struggling and longing to be home, but we weren't in a position for me to go and there wasn't anything I could do or change once I was there so there was no point in me being there. Instead of telling me everything would be okay and trying to fix things, I came home one day to a cactus.

My parents thought I was crazy when they saw my cactus as my dining table center piece and I told them it was my favorite plant. My dad reminded me how much I hated the desert and longed to be back east where it was green and rainy. Growing up he would say, "The desert has it's own kind of beauty," and I would whole-heartedly disagree. I didn't think there was anything pretty about it. Now that I'm no longer there I appreciate my dad's confident opinion and can see it for myself. Although a cactus is less than inviting, they mean a lot more to me now. And in a way, I owe it to Nick for opening up my eyes a little. His one simple gesture made me appreciate something I once deemed ugly and now I'll probably always keep one in my home!

If I can't find a cactus doctor who can help nurse Captain Hook back together I will probably hold a funeral service for him if his condition gets much worse. All are invited. And I guess if it comes to that then I'm probably not ready for babies. After all, killing a cactus has got to be the ultimate sign that I still need more practice. And I know some of you are thinking that I've kept a puppy alive... he's pretty independent. Captain Hook lasted a year and a half and I haven't even had Wedge for a year yet. Let's just hope a year and a half won't be the longest I've kept something alive!

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Oh goodness Sara you crack me up!! Keeping a puppy alive is wayyy more challenging then trying to keep a plant alive... which if it makes you feel any better i dont have a green thumb either. And the only way mom kept the plants in our house alive was because of dad lol!!!

Tim, Niccole, and Neva said...

I totally feel you about the baby thing. I felt the same way when I found out I was pregnant. "How do I take care of a newborn??? They are so tiny and fragile!" But, I promise you will be WAY more attached to your baby than you ever will be to your plants. It helps in keeping them alive, I'm sure of it ;-)

I also feel you on the desert thing. I have always thought that the desert is so ugly, and I still do! I'm trying really hard to find beauty in it all since we will most likely be moving down there next month. but, all I can think about are nasty scorpions attacking my helpless child in her crib while she'w sleeping! I HATE scorpions!!

I hope you and your family are doing well. I miss your fam so much! They are awesome!

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

Awww... I love your cactus! That is precious! I actually killed three cacti... don't feel bad. I think my aloe vera plant is starting to die, too... i love your place! it's so cute, and love the plants!

Billy and Stephanie said...

i was hoping this was turnig in to an annoucement! ...lol yeah i'm so bad at keeping things alive inclueding a cactus. But that's why we got our dog to make sure we can take care of her before haveing babies.And what would you know they are both still alive so we must be doing something right!