Wednesday, April 9, 2014

What We Can Learn From Children

I once set a goal to share my testimony during Fast and Testimony meeting six times this year. We were in Arizona in January, February we had two baby blessings in our ward and because of it there was hardly a break between each person that stood, and March we attended another ward for a family baby blessing. I finally got my number one in for April even with all the visitors for the baby blessing. Only five more to go...! But I wanted to share those same thoughts here because I also set a goal to include more religious things on my blog.

So here it goes. 

I've forgotten how sweet the spirit is that children can bring to a fast and testimony meeting. Nick and I have been in a student ward for several years now so it's a nice change of pace to hear the special testimony a child has to share. I always feel strengthened from them because I think, if they can know it's true, then surely I can too.

Nick and I have been using the Gospel Art Book to teach Shasta bible stories. Okay, let's be honest, Nick has been teaching Shasta and Me the stories! But I've been so impressed with how well Shasta seems to understand and can recite back to us different key points to the stories. If you ask her who Jesus is she'll tell you that He was a prophet, is the Son of God, and that He died for us. She can tell you about Adam and Eve, The Creation, Enoch, Noah, and the list goes on. She can also name all 16 prophets by their full names.

One day during Sacrament Meeting she asked to go to the restroom. As we exited the chapel she noticed a picture hanging on the wall and excitedly said, "Mom, that's Joseph Smith"! I was so impressed that she recognized his picture and could tell me who he was. I've worried that she would only remember these stories we've been teaching her by seeing the exact pictures she's been learning them from in the Gospel Art book. But the picture she saw of Joseph Smith wasn't the same one in our book and yet she knew who he was. Inside I was thinking, "Yes, she's getting it!"

I think we can relate this to our Heavenly Father. Every time one of His children gets baptized, stands and shares their testimony, takes something new away from attending the temple, He's up there going, "Yes, they're getting it"!

I want to testify that I get it and that I'm continuing to get it daily. Once we gain a testimony we're not done. We have to keep building it up so whenever our beliefs are challenged we can be firm in what we know. I know the gospel is true. I know that I am a better person because of it and the trials and challenges I face in my life are easier because of the knowledge that I have and the strength I receive through the atonement. I know that the stories we've been teaching Shasta are true and the lessons learned then are still applicable now. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing. And thanks for the reminder to keep reading the Book of Mormon reader to Lucy. :)