Saturday, June 15, 2013

Shasta's First Real Haircut

I decided it was time to give Shasta a real haircut. She had some weird lengths that looked fine while it was down, but when I put it up you could tell there was hair that was longer than the rest. I wanted to try something new and fun for summer. Nick didn't really want me to get it cut because he would rather it just be long, but I felt like she has her whole life to have long hair so trying a new hairstyle wasn't going to be the end of the world! And if I was going to pay to have it evened up then we might as well try something fun!
I took her to Cookie Cutters in Providence and let me tell ya, that place is every kid's dream as far as hair cutting places go! The first thing you notice when you walk is the giant slide. There were three cars that she could choose from to sit in for her haircut. Of course she chose the pink car! She also got to pick a movie to watch. That's right, every station had it's own tv. The station next to us even had a Playstation. When I told Nick he said he wanted to get his haircut there from now on! (If it meant he'd get his hair cut more often then by all means...!)
Before we got started. She started getting a big ringlet right there in the middle... that's why it looks a little strange.
Here goes nothing...!

I decided to try some whooshy bangs even though I was certain I was going to regret it. They're not as short as I would like them to be. I wanted them to be a little more pixie-like. And at first I hated them just like I thought I would, but they've grown on me. When I first do her hair I love them, but as the day goes on and she rubs the hairspray out they fall across her whole forehead and I HATE that! 

I had bangs my whole childhood and was always told my forehead was too big to ever go without them. Finally, the summer going into high school I grew them out and have never looked back! I remember feeling really self-conscious, like people were judging my enormous forehead, but I eventually got over it! I also remember a time when I was in KINDERGARTEN I told my mom I didn't want bangs anymore so she styled my hair with a headband to pull my bangs back. I immediately regretted it because I looked so weird, but she made me wear my hair like that to school anyway and I was SO embarrassed. Kindergarten and embarrassed of my hair? Really?

So because of my bangs experience, I don't want my girls to be haunted by their childhood bangs! Ha!
This is the next day on our way into church. At first I hated her new haircut. It was SO different and made her look older which I didn't like at all!
It was also harder to style than I thought it would be so that was annoying and I couldn't get it to style as cute as I wanted it to.
It's gotten a lot easier to style and now goes a lot faster than when it was long.
It took me a good week to get used to it and decide I liked it, but now I love it! I haven't been able to get a good picture of it though. It's always too bright outside or we're out playing and she won't hold still, or it's the end of the day and it's lost its cuteness. Hopefully these pictures are enough for now. Sometimes I miss her natural curls, but they had to go eventually I guess.

4 comments:

Katie Johnson said...

Ha! It's funny the things we feel self conscious about. I never even noticed your forehead!
I love the haircut. It's so cute on her!

AN Petersen said...

I love love love her new haircut. Seriously so adorable. I prefer little girls with a shorter haircut. It usually just looks more kept up.

AN Petersen said...

I love love love her new haircut. Seriously so adorable. I prefer little girls with a shorter haircut. It usually just looks more kept up.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I Love the haircut - she looks completely adorable. I need to get Dee's hair cut. SIGH.

I'm with you and bangs, I had them forever and hated them. I've decided to swear off bangs for my girls. If they want them when they are older they can decide.