Friday, June 14, 2013

Shasta Turns 2

Shasta's 2nd birthday was pretty low key. Shelby was still in the NCU and Nick and I were finishing up school, so we didn't add any stress by making a big deal out of Shasta's birthday.

Nick's parents and two sisters came to the hospital to see Shelby the Sunday before Shasta's birthday and then afterwards we went back to our house for some food and presents. I felt kind of silly that everyone else brought the food and cake for Shasta's birthday, but there was no way Nick and I could have done it.
Visiting Shelby.
She looks so tiny in Nick's hands.
Holy stilts! Her leg looks so long and skinny!
Nick told his mom Shasta wanted an Aggie cake. This is Old Main Hill with the A on the top! Not too shabby for short notice!
Shasta with her cake and cupcakes.
Time to blow out the candles!
And finally time for presents. I love how Wedge is front and center when there are four cousins there to celebrate her birthday!
Then on Shasta's actual birthday Nick had school and had to work in the afternoon so we only had a small window to celebrate it as a family. After Nick came home from school we had her open presents. Then when he came home for dinner we had cake. We would have had ice cream too, but I forgot that I bought some!

I went to visit Shelby at 5:00 that morning and stayed until Nick had to leave for school at 9:30am. It was important to me that Shasta didn't go to a babysitter on her birthday so the only chance I had to see Shelby was super early in the morning. I'm sure it wouldn't have made any difference to Shasta to go play with friends for a few hours while I was at the hospital, but since we weren't doing anything special for her big day I wanted to make sure she at least got to spend the whole day with either Nick or me.
Her new baby stroller! What a hit!
She really was excited about her presents...!
And because Nick knows I'm obsessed with little feet, he snapped this!
I bought a cake because I didn't have time or energy to make one.
It's funny that any other time she loves blowing out the candles, but when it came to the candles on her birthday cake she wanted nothing to do with them.
Once the candles were gone she was excited to get to eat some cake!
 All things said and done it was a pretty good day. She loved singing Happy Birthday all day long (and several days following)! I think she felt special and that's all that really matters.

And since I'm blogging nearly two months late, Nick's birthday has come and gone. It took a lot of convincing Shasta that it wasn't her birthday, it was Daddy's. The morning of his birthday I was practicing the Happy Birthday song with her. We would sing it one time through saying Daddy and then she wanted us to say Shasta so we had to sing it again with her name. It's now been a couple of weeks since Nick's birthday and just tonight after dinner Nick was back on his way to work and as he was leaving Shasta wished him a happy birthday. She's such a silly girl!

No comments: