Saturday, December 13, 2014

Sugar Cookies

I made sugar cookies for not only what was the very first time with my kids, but my very first time as a married adult. And I don't have any memory of ever making sugar cookies as a kid, so this was quite possibly my very first time ever! And it was kind of a disaster.

We don't have a fancy mixer, only egg beaters that I got when I was 18 and moved to Nauvoo so they're nine years old and very loved. They've been on the fritz for a while since Nick started making pies all the time so I knew it wouldn't be long before we had to replace them, but they decided to die in the middle of making cookies. Well, we were able to make the dough, but when it came time to making frosting they wouldn't turn on. It made some sparks and a lot of stinky smoke. So Nick ran to the store so we could finish decorating the cookies.
I gave Shasta and Shelby their own bowl of frosting and popsicle sticks to spread with. I knew they wouldn't keep it out of their mouths so this seemed like the best way to keep them from licking any knives.

Shelby did really good at first with not eating any, but once she realized how good it tasted, she gave up on frosting cookies and just went for eating them. Well, she would put the frosting on the cookie, then scrape it off with her fingers and eat it, then frost the cookie again.She only worked on one cookie the entire time!



Shelby's finished product!
Shasta's finished products!

Our other mishap was that we didn't have any red food coloring. We made Christmas cookies with green, blue, yellow, and white frosting so they looked more like Easter cookies. And we didn't have any Christmas sprinkles so really the only thing Christmas-y about them was the shapes. Originally I had planned on taking some to neighbors (not any the girls made of course), but once they were done the colors were sad and it looked like my three year old decorated all of them so I decided not to. I think I better practice some more before I decide to share them with other people. But regardless, we had fun making them!

No comments: