Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Shasta's Sensory Table

Nick built Shasta a sensory table over the 4th of July and I finally got it sanded and stained. He was kind enough to save the dirty work for me!

 It was her idea to pull the stool up to the table. Maybe someday I'll ask Nick to build some chairs!
 It's a little tall for her now, but she'll grow into it soon enough. And once she grows a little too tall for it, Nick made the legs adjustable so we can make the table taller!

 Right now it's perfect for snacks because Wedge can't get to it!!!


 But it's real use is so Shasta can explore different things that she doesn't normally get to play with.
 This is white rice that I dyed with food coloring. Then I put some kitchen measuring cups and such in it for her to scoop and play with the rice.
 She loves it!


 And surprisingly she wasn't as messy with it as I expected. She had a few spills towards the end, but for the most part she did really good with it.

I love having a sensory table for her. We don't use it as much as I would like because it's something I feel I need to be right by her side and monitor what she's doing (so she doesn't eat it and doesn't make a huge mess), and with school it's too hard to devote that much time to one activity. But it's a real treat when we do pull it out and play with it. One of these days I'll add something new for her to explore. Maybe dry noodles or beans.

2 comments:

AN Petersen said...

Shasta is sooo adorable. I just wanna squeeze her up.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Hooray for handy husbands, right?? SOOOO fun to have a sensory table. That's one thing I never did get.