Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter 2012

Easter and Halloween are my two favorite holidays. And it works out so perfectly that they're roughly six months apart!

Our Easter tradition is to do Easter baskets on Saturday morning so that we can save Sunday for the spiritual side of the holiday. Unfortunately, I started putting our Easter basket together on the kitchen table earlier in the week and just left it there the whole week so it wasn't much of a surprise come Saturday morning. I knew Shasta wouldn't care so I guess it doesn't matter, but it took away the fun.

Another twist to our Easter tradition is we only do one basket for the family to share. Each person has an individual gift, but as far as the candy goes, it's for everyone to share.



Shasta's individual gifts were: the book "I Believe In Jesus Too", bubbles, and a cute little Easter plate.
Wedge got some rawhide sticks.
Nick got a puzzle.
And I got the movie "Baptists at our BBQ".

We didn't bother doing an Egg Hunt since Shasta doesn't get it anyway. She got to do one at her grandparent's house two weeks ago so that was good enough!



Easter Sunday Nick woke up feeling sick so Shasta and I went to church without him. I taught the Marriage and Family Relations class by myself for the first time and I was a nervous wreck, but I think it went well! Then because it was Fast and Testimony meeting I decided to stand and share my testimony. It was Good Friday a year ago that I was admitted into the hospital to have Shasta so I shared my story of how those experiences related to the Savior and the sacrifice that He made for me. I didn't do my thoughts justice because I was so nervous and after I sat down I thought of everything I wanted to say and didn't, but I'm glad I finally shared that experience through my testimony since she's almost a year old and I hadn't done it yet.

When we got home from church Nick saw Shasta's Easter dress for the first time and decided we needed to take pictures because she looked like Dorothy with her ruby red slippers and her dog Toto!



All in all, this Easter was FAR better than last year. Shasta missed Easter by one day last year (technically 5 1/2 hours) so it was fun that this got to be her first one.

4 comments:

Katy said...

What a fun idea to just do one basket and share. And I like that you do it on Saturday instead. Things got a little crazy here Sunday morning, we were late for church. I really enjoyed your testimony. I always feel like there is more I wanted to share when I do mine too, but I really appreciated what you shared.

Sally said...

Shasta is soo stinkin' cute and is getting so big! I like your Easter tradition of doing one family basket on saturday and then making it more religious on sunday.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I like this post - it's always fun to hear the different Easter traditions. I love the LARGE basket - great idea. She really is such a sweetie.

I liked your 11 month post too. I like what you said about enjoying your pediatrician and how you didn't feel like a bad mom when you went to him. That's so important!

Bethany said...

Really cute Dorothy! Especially since the basket and Toto are bigger than her!