Monday, September 13, 2010

Why I Relay:

Relay For Life is incredibly important to me and I'm not even sure I can explain why. I've never been a caregiver or a survivor and I pray I never will. My uncle was diagnosed with terminal cancer when I was 18. About three months after his diagnosis he lost his battle. Other members of mine and Nick's family have suffered with cancer and I guess it's my way of celebrating them through Relay for Life.

The American Cancer Society has become the official sponsor of birthdays. By being part of relay for life I can help celebrate with those who were given a chance to have another birthday. There may not be a cure for cancer yet, but I'm helping FUND a cure, and that's pretty cool! In breast cancer alone there are 11 different types of cancer styles. And with each person there are different aspects to the disease. With that it means there can't only be one cure for cancer. Each person needs their own cure which means lots of money and research.

The first time I was touched by the importance of relay for life was in an assembly in my high school. We were all told to stand and as three questions were asked if we were able to answer yes to any of them to take a seat.

1. Do you know anyone who has died from cancer?
2. Has anyone in your family suffered from cancer?
3. Do you know anyone who has had cancer?

Out of 2,400 students, not a single one remained standing. Cancer literally effects everybody in some way and that's when I decided to fight for the cause.

I relay so when someone hears the words "you have cancer" it doesn't mean it's a death sentence.
I relay so my family won't be afraid of fighting cancer.
I relay so one day cancer can be as easy as getting rid of the stomach flu.
I relay so if the time comes for me or someone I'm close with to fight cancer, there will be a cure.

At 211 degrees water is hot. 212 degrees water boils. With boiling water comes steam. And steam can power a locomotive. One extra degree makes all the difference. Belief fuels enthusiasm, and enthusiasm explodes into passion. It fires our soul and lifts our spirit. I believe that there will one day be a cure for cancer. I don't want the water to just be hot; so close to finding a cure, but short by one degree. I want to be part of the degree that makes the water boil; the degree that changes HOPE to CURE.

2 comments:

Kelsey Fairbanks said...

This is way inspiring. Especially since my mom has cancer now. You are amazing- I should work on my running, maybe I'll join you one day!

Sara said...

It's actually an event that goes through the night and they call it a relay because one member from your team has to be on the track at all times, but they don't have to run. The idea is that cancer never sleeps and we won't sleep either until we find a cure! You should definitely try to get involved with your community event. I would imagine they have one! It'll change your life!