Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Church Talk = ick!

I have to speak in church in 2 weeks and it's making me sick to my stomach. I HATE public speaking with a passion and although I got the best topic in the world, it still isn't comforting. I've avoided speaking my whole life up until I got married. Then we were asked to speak and Nick told the Bishop we would do it. I told him the only way he was getting me up there was if he spoke at the podium with me. So we gave a "team talk". Now I have to stand up there all by myself and I just don't know if I can do it.

My topic is Christmas traditions. Easy right?! I thought so too until I started to write a talk. I'm having a really hard time incorporating the Gospel into my talk. How exactly do I use scriptures with traditions? I plan on talking about different types of Christmas traditions that you find in homes across the world such as: Christmas trees, Christmas lights, Star on top of the tree, hanging wreaths, etc and why we do those things. Then I plan on talking about traditions that are done on a more individual basis like mine and Nick's "Three Wise Men" tradition. The problem is I can't seem to figure out how to make it all come together.

Ugh. I hate giving talks. Writing it is half the battle. I couldn't imagine being asked only a week in advanced. Which I guess was technically the case, but I told him I needed more time to prepare so I got it post poned for a few weeks! If it doesn't come together soon I'm afraid I'm going to be "sick" that day and just not go!

1 comment:

The Green Family said...

calm down. It will be fine. You have a great start and I think I may want to come hear it. What time is your meeting? jk! I loved hearing your 3 wise men story and I think that should be the main point. relating it to christ's birth and the whole meaning of christmas - giving gifts to christ and serving your fellow men is the best gift of all! And what a great tradition you have started - now if everyone had traditions like that we would have less obesity and more charity in the world!