Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Parent of the Savior of the World

I wanted to bare my testimony in sacrament meeting today since we're new to the ward, but after the first two or so people stood I realized I wasn't going to get a chance. There wasn't a moment of silence during the whole meeting. There was always a steady stream of people sitting on the stand, waiting their turn and since that isn't my style (yet), I decided I would still have a chance in Relief Society. I should have known better. The steady stream of people from sacrament meeting flowed right into the relief society meeting. I set a goal to bare my testimony six times this year. I think that's a little ambitious for this ward. I'm not the type to claw my way to the front so I can have a turn. And today I learned that I can't hesitate for even a moment or the opportunity is lost. However, my blog is as good a place as any to share my testimony so here it goes.

This Christmas season has given me a new perspective on how much our Heavenly Father loves us. I've always known that He loves me and wants what is best for me, but this past month I've seen it a little differently. As a parent, I want nothing more than to protect my children from every hardship and trial that they will face. I never want to see them suffer or experience heartache. I just want to shield them from anything that will hurt them. And I'm sure Heavenly Father has those same instincts as a parent.

I thought about that moment when He realized what it meant to provide a savior for the world. And I imagined that conversation He exchanged with Jesus Christ when He told Him what had to be done. I doubt that either one of them hesitated for even a second, but I would imagine they felt heartache and sorrow, as I'm sure any parent and child would. I'm sure they even shed a few tears as they embraced each other in what was probably the most compassionate hug they have ever shared. And then that moment came when He sent His son to earth; to an earthly mother and an earthly father that wasn't Him. He looked at that precious, little child and knew what his fate would be. And He did it because He knew it had to be done. He did it because He loves us so much and knew a way needed to be provided for us to return to live with Him again. He did it for me; because He loves me.

I look at my sweet, little girls and feel so relieved that it wasn't me that had to make that choice! But because I know what it means to love a little child I call my own, I know how I would feel if I had to make that kind of decision. And I know that it would take a whole lot of love towards those the choice was being made for to be able to follow through with that. Because let's not forget that in the end, it was still a choice. If my Heavenly Father was willing to go through all of that as a parent, to allow me a way to return to live with Him again, then how could I ever deny Jesus Christ as the Savior of the World? From the wise words once shared in a talk in General Conference several years ago; "He is the way. Any other way, every other way, whatever other way is foolishness". I know Jesus Christ is the only way back to my loving Heavenly Father and I say this in His name, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: