Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Last First Day of School... FINALLY!

I can officially say that today marks my very last, first day of school. At least as an undergrad. And my kids made sure to make today extra memorable for me. I was already feeling stressed about today because classes started on Wednesday instead of Monday so that was throwing me off. Then Monday night I got on and looked at my Week At A Glance schedule and saw that the time was changed for my Wednesday class. It was already late in the day and overlapped with Nick's work schedule, so I had a babysitter lined up to watch my girls during that hour and a half while we were both gone. But the class got moved to start at 4pm (the time when it was supposed to end) and end at 6:30pm. Ugh. Did I mention it was a two and a half hour class? That means someone has to watch my girls for three plus hours once a week for the next sixteen weeks (including dropping them off with enough time for me to park on campus and get to class and of course driving back to pick them up). It stresses me out to leave my kids with other people anyway and especially knowing it's an inconvenience for them, and it costs money that we don't have, so the idea of having to ask my friend if she can watch them even longer and later in the day had me fearing the worst; that she wouldn't be able to do it, I wouldn't be able to find a replacement, and I wouldn't be able to take the class. Of course she was happy to still watch my kids and I worried for nothing, but I can't help it.
Then today came and everything seemed to be going smoothly. I had a really productive morning while I waited for 3:30 to come around when I would drop my kids off and go to my first class. But then around lunch time I noticed Shelby was really warm and her eyes were really watery. I couldn't bare the thought of taking my sick child to someone else to take care of her. Mom guilt at its finest. Plus my friend that will be watching my girls this semester has a daughter younger than Shelby and I definitely didn't want her to get sick. So I asked Nick if he would be able to take a half day off from work to stay home with the girls while I was in class. He wasn't willing at first, but I think he could sense my desperation and told me he would figure it out. He went to work and came home about half an hour later, watched the girls while I was in class, and went back to work once I got home. What a relief that he was willing to do that for me.
It feels good to be back in the swing of things. It's exciting to know that I'm in my final semester at Utah State University. Right now I feel motivated and ready to tackle the mountain of homework I already have from the one class I attended today. But then again, I'm sitting here blogging instead of working on it so we'll see how long my motivation lasts! Only 16 weeks and 115 days to go until graduation. I can do this! Gulp.

1 comment:

Tannie Datwyler said...

That is incredibly exciting!!! I'm so happy for you. :)