Monday, December 23, 2013

Shasta's Special Christmas Tree

I decided that Shasta's Thankful Tree was so fun that I wanted to carry it on through December and relate it to Christmas somehow. I made a pine tree and our first activity was to decorate it with stickers.
I loved that she put two stars at the top of the tree without any prompting. And then she added an angel!
That was probably the most successful activity. Shasta loved it! She used up all the Christmas stickers I had (in my collection of stickers from over the years) and still wanted to use more so I pulled out some smiley face stickers. They look like Christmas bulbs, right?!
Then for one of our activities we made a list of ways we can make Jesus happy. She didn't fully understand the concept, but she seemed to enjoy coming up with the list.

For our next activity I had cut out a bunch of circles and wrote all of her answers on them. Then I let her put glue on the circles and dip them in this type of glitter-tinsel stuff that I had left over from years past. This activity was a lot of fun for Shasta, but I'll never use that same material again because it was a huge pain to clean back off of the table. And I'm pretty sure I'll be finding it around my house for the next year from what fell off of the ornaments once they were hung on the tree.

Then a few days later we hung them on the Christmas tree.
 We had so much fun making this tree and having activities to do throughout December. I'm pretty sure this is a tradition we will keep while the girls are young. I already hit after Christmas sales to stock up on some Christmas stickers since we used everything I had. I'm sure next year Shasta will understand ways we can make Jesus happy a lot better so that aspect will be more fun. And Shelby will get to participate too. It's hard to imagine her walking and well on her way to being two years old.
The best part is this activity literally cost me 80 cents. The only thing I had to purchase was the green butcher paper. Everything else I already had on hand. I love fun activities that cost next to nothing!
And Shasta decorated the tree completely by herself. The only thing I did was hang the tree itself. The rest of it was all her!

No comments: