Thursday, May 6, 2010

Nick's Book

Anyone who has any knowledge in getting a book published, I would really appreciate any tips and advice I can get. Nick finished writing a book over a year ago, close to a year and a half, and we both really want to see it published even if that's as far as it goes. He spent a very long time on it. In fact, I believe he started writing it right after we got married and three years later finished it.

I read it and really enjoyed it. Maybe I'm partial because I love the writer, but for a fantasy book (which is not a genre I particularly like) it is really good. There were a lot of twists and unexpected events and characters that are mentioned in the beginning and show up again in the end. The way everything unfolds and ties together is brilliant!

It is amazing to me to see a book come together. It is definitely something I don't have talent for and I'm SO proud of my husband for being able to see this through from start to finish. The publishing company he wanted to go through is no longer taking submissions due to the way the economy has effected them so Nick has looked into some others. The one he wants to go through now told us we have to pay to have it printed which can be anywhere between 5 and 10 thousand dollars depending on the size of the book and the number of copies. Yikes! It doesn't seem right to have to pay them does it?

It would really help if anyone could enlighten us on where to go from here. As of now it is either just under or just over 300 pages front and back on regular copy paper. Nick is working hard to edit it and has been cutting a lot out, but also adding a lot in as far as character developement goes. It's coming along nicely, but if it doesn't get into "final copy" form soon I think he'll spend the rest of his life perfecting it! Please help!

2 comments:

Tannie Datwyler said...

So, I'm not a huge help with this. But for one thing, I think he'd need a good editor. It's awesome that he is going through and editing, but at the same time, someone with fresh eyes who has tons of experience might be part of the ticket.

Also - he could try e-mailing some Utah writers that ARE published. For example, he could try Brandon Mull or Brandon Sanderson. Both are LDS and live in Utah and have books that are published and pretty well known (and the are both fantasy writers). They are also both REALLY nice (I've met Brandon Mull and Richard reads Brandon Sanderson's website sometimes). They might be able to give him some advice.

As a last thought - I know some universities teach classes on how to edit and get a book published. So you could maybe go that route.... for example, I know Brandon Sanderson teaches (or at least used to) a class at BYU on how to get published.

Hope that helps...

The Green Family said...

check out my friends blog. She has been going the rounds of getting published... i don't understand a whole lot of it but if you want to talk to someone local (hyrum) who has been through it all it may help. She has all sorts of postings on writting and publishing. Good Luck!
www.amberargyle.blogspot.com