Monday, April 13, 2015

Living in Aggieland

(written by Nick)
 Yesterday, I was able to take my family to the Blue/White game for the Utah State Aggies.  Maybe it was just because Maverick bought the rights to put their name on Romney Stadium, but we got free hot dogs and drinks, discounted swag, a chance to watch football from anywhere in the stadium, and access to many of the players.  I don’t know how other schools do it, I’ve only been to one other spring scrimmage, and that was at BYU.  It was the year after the 49ers beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl, so I was 10 going on 11.  I know that because Steve Young and Jason Buck gave a fireside beforehand.  Other than that, I don’t remember much; just that we went, ate lunch, tried some South American soda, and watched the game.
Three Generations of Aggie Fans
      I hope my daughters remember more when they get older.  I hope corporate sponsorship doesn’t disconnect us from “our” athletes.  I don’t think I’ve ever been able to walk on Merlin Olsen Field (or whatever it was called formerly) before yesterday.  My daughters were able to meet future NFL players (fingers crossed) like Kyler Fackrell and Nick Vigil.  We got autographs from nine very friendly, accommodating young men.  If anyone sees a picture of Kennedy Williams crouched down to engage with my little two-year-old Shelby, let me know.  I would love a copy.  Signing for hundreds of fans for an hour certainly wasn’t made convenient for those young men, standing on the field, sweaty and tired, without tables or chairs or any kind of order.  Throngs of fans pressed in on Chuckie Keeton.  Hopefully, the honest fans who simply wanted a memento from the star Aggie were able to get what they wanted.  If it wasn’t a burden to them, I hope there weren’t any athletes who were forced to stay and sign.

Shasta's Getting Braver with Big Blue. 
Shelby refused to let me get any closer.
     This is why I love being an Aggie in Logan.  Utah State is so engrained into the Cache Valley community that I feel a part of it.  Sara and I have both had classes with athletes, and not just extra large survey classes, but small classes where we could engage with them.  I’ve given high five to Chris Huber, bought ice cream from David Pak, shared a bench at church with Gary Wilkinson, and been served at Village Inn by Pooh Williams.  Of course, I probably should mention my sister marrying a Utah State football player first and foremost, but he’s been around for long enough that he doesn’t really count, right?

Shasta and Shelby with their cousin Meili.
This is Shelby's "cheese" face.
     There’s a lot of talk about changing college sports, paying football and basketball players, turning college into a minor league.  I’m all for using more of the money generated by the NCAA towards bettering situations for student athletes, but I’m against ruining opportunities for families to enjoy what my family has been able to experience here in Logan.  I would rather have that than a dozen national championships.

     But off my soapbox, I just want to say thank you to Utah State, and I guess to Maverick for the wonderful afternoon.  I especially want to say thank you to the nine young men who signed a poster for “my daughters” (and all the players who would have if they had the courage to ask them); Tyler Fox, Jojo Natson, Kent Myers, Kyler Fackrell, Nick Vigil, DJ Nelson, Christopher Unga, Kennedy Williams, and Zach Van Leeuwen.  I’m excited for this season to see the success these young men will have.  Go Aggies! 
Shasta is learning how to skip.  She thinks she is so big.

No comments: