Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Scripture Book Club

Who isn't a member of a book club these days? I mean, seriously, it seems to be one of the most common "mommy clubs" out there! But the one I belong to is a little different than what you're familiar with when you hear "book club".

First, a back story. A few years ago I had this idea that I wanted to start a book club that only focused on the scriptures. But I struggled to commit to it because I was a new mom and I knew that I would have to bring my baby to all our meetings since Nick works at night. Plus I'm a student and I wasn't sure if I could make time for anything else in my life, even if it was only one meeting a month.

I finally had the kick in the pants I needed one Sunday when we had a lesson in Relief Society about being "Sister Scriptorians" because we should teach our children by the scriptures. It was a rude awakening for me because I'm not as well versed in the scriptures as I should be and I didn't exactly know how to change that, aside from the obvious personal study. I decided it was time to move forward with my dusty idea of a Scripture Book Club.

I wasn't exactly sure how it was going to work or if it would even be successful. I had two ideas for the club: 1. we read so many chapters or books a month and then discuss them or 2. whoever is hosting picks a favorite scripture and we spend the month memorizing it and applying it to our lives; then report about our experiences at the meeting. I thought both would be worthwhile since one forces me to read the scriptures in a way that I can discuss them with other people and the other forces me to memorize scriptures and make them come to life through applying them. I put it to a vote and option number one, well, won!

Right now our focus has been The Book of Mormon. The first two months we read first and second Nephi. The next month was a little tricky because there are so many small books in a row so we lumped them all together and read Jacob through Words of Mormon. We split Mosiah into two months so we read half one month and the other half the next. And Alma we've broken into 4 sections and will be finishing the last 18 chapters this month.

Tonight we met for the ninth month in a row and it has been something that I look forward to each month. (In case you've done the math, which I'm sure most of you haven't, but maybe there's a Rain Man in our midst, one month we met and there were only two of us so we decided to wait and discuss it the next month and allow everyone to get caught up. That's why there's only eight months worth of reading and nine months that we've met together.) Tonight's meeting was by far my favorite. We were few in numbers compared to some months, but we had an awesome discussion. We discussed Alma, chapters 31-45. I always feel uplifted when I leave, but tonight was extra good. Even with 6 kids under the age of 4 running around and all the distractions that come from that, we still were able to have a thoughtful conversation and everyone had so much to contribute.

Basically, we meet together and share thoughts and impressions that we had from our reading. Some comments are about specific verses, others are about the overall story. It's nice because we've all read the scriptures before so even if we didn't finish the reading, it's not like we're completely lost and have no idea what anyone's talking about. It's still possible to contribute if you didn't read the section, but more importantly, it's impossible to walk away without learning something.
(Jaime Christiansen, Tiffany Adams, Stephanie Peterson, Me, Jackie Schwartz)
Highlights from tonight:

My favorite chapter was Alma 32. I think all of us agreed tonight that this was so powerful. The whole chapter is about faith... faith is like a little seed.

28. "Now we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves-- It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me."

Then jump down to verse 32. "Therefore, if a seed groweth it is good, but if it groweth not, behold it is not good, therefore it is cast away."

I love these two verses and I think they're applicable in any situation we're in whether it be where to live, what job to take, when to start a family or add to your family... Plant a seed, have faith, and if it is right the seed will grow.

Alma 36
3. "...for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."

I really don't even have to give commentary to this scripture, but I will. What an amazing promise. Who wouldn't want support in their trials, troubles, and afflictions? But wait, be lifted up at the last day too? Bonus! All that's asked of us is that we trust in God. Um, yes please!

Alma 39
4. "Yea, she did steal away the hearts of many; but this was no excuse for thee, my son. Thou shouldst have tended to the ministry wherewith thou wast entrusted."

5. "Know ye not, my son, that these things are an abomination in the sight of the Lord; yea, most abominable above all sins save it be the shedding of innocent blood or denying the Holy Ghost?"

This is talking about sexual immorality and it really stood out to me that it is ranked one of the most abominable of sins. Obviously society doesn't hold the same standard that God does pertaining to chastity and as if sex before marriage isn't enough, even married couples have turned to swinging and adopting open marriage practices. It's crazy how sex has become so casual and it's scary to think of the consequences that can come from it.

Alma 41
14. "Therefore, my son, see that you are merciful unto your brethren; deal justly, judge righteously, and do good continually; and if ye do all these things then shall ye receive your reward; yea, ye shall have mercy restored unto you again; ye shall have justice restored unto you again; ye shall have a righteous judgment restored unto you again; and ye shall have good rewarded unto you again."

15. "For that which ye do send out shall return unto you again, and be restored..."

Then jump to Alma 42
27. "...in the last day it shall be restored unto him according to his deeds."

Basically, what goes around comes around; only without the negative connotation. It's pretty comforting to know that we will be rewarded for being good, for choosing the less popular, for holding to the iron rod while being mocked from those watching in the great and spacious building. Just as no bad deed will go unpunished, no good deed will go unrewarded. So remind me, what's so bad about being good?!

I have really enjoyed being part of this book club. It has helped me be more diligent in not only reading my scriptures, but studying and pondering them. I feel like I've learned more about the scriptures in the last 9 months than I have in the last 24 years of Sunday School lessons. It's far less intimidating to talk about the scriptures with a casual group of friends than it is in a formal meeting filled with returned missionaries that know the books backwards and forwards.

If anyone would like to start attending our book club, you're more than welcome; even if it's just to see how we operate so you can go back and start one of your own! We have a Facebook page where we have the option to continue our discussions and where we post updates for when and where the next meeting will be. I can add you to the group if you're interested!

No comments: