Tuesday, July 23, 2013

More On Shasta

Here are some more fun things Shasta says and does:

She points her finger at me and says, "you are so busted". She learned this from the tv show Phineas and Ferb.

Every single time she prays... before naps, before bed, before meals, randomly... she always starts with, "Heavenly Father, bless Shelby Belly. Bless dreams...."

She's started looking around the room and naming everything she sees during her prayers. Some of my favorites have been, "Thank you for toes and mommy's toes, Shelby's blanket, stories, songs, flowers (her hair clips hang on the wall in her room), bed and Shelby's bed, and my all time favorite is when she starts spouting off all the signs she knows while signing them!

She spilled her cup of Fishies and in an annoyed tone said, "awesome". Of course I started laughing because that is always my reaction when I'm annoyed by something and because I was laughing she started saying it over and over.

She calls lunch "munch".


I'll stand Shelby on my lap and say, "Look at you, so big standing up"! Now Shasta says that EXACT thing to her babies while standing them on her lap!

Whenever she thinks she's doing something funny she says, "I funny" or "look at me, mom. I silly"!

Lately while I'm exercising she tries to copy what I'm doing. She does some pretty cute jumping jacks! And when she wants me to do crunches she tells me to "sit on the floor and do this" and puts her hands behind her head to show me how to do crunches.

A few Sundays ago she started singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star during Sacrament Meeting. The next thing I knew, the 2 year old little boy behind us started singing with her.

The next Sunday after that display she made up a song during Sacrament Meeting about love. She would sing "I really love my..." and say things like mommy and daddy and shoes and whatever she was looking at. When our Bishop stood to close the meeting he said to the congregation, "and thanks to Shasta we are all feeling the love in this room"! I didn't think she was being that loud, but we were sitting on the opposite side of the room from where the Bishopric sits so he couldn't see us, and we were in the second to last row so pretty much the exact opposite corner from where he was sitting.

We eat oatmeal and toast almost every morning for breakfast. I always eat my oatmeal by spreading a bite's worth on my toast, taking a bite and then spreading on some more. One day I noticed Shasta trying to do the same thing! She isn't as coordinated so over time she's learned it's just easier to dip her toast into her oatmeal and scoop some up. The funny thing is I've eaten oatmeal this way for as long as I can remember so I don't even notice I'm doing it. And I'm willing to bet it's something I've learned from my mom and now Shasta's learned it from me!

This past Sunday I was sustained for a new calling in Sacrament Meeting. I stood when my name was read and Shasta started saying very loudly, "Mommy sit down. Sit down right now. Sit down on the bench."

When I curl her hair she makes me blow on it because it's hot.

She always asks me to put makeup on her while I'm getting ready. I use the brush from the blush and rub it on her cheeks and eyes and she's satisfied. Sometimes I really put blush on her cheeks, but most of the time I don't since she doesn't know the difference.

She thinks she needs to change her panties every time she goes to the bathroom.

Any time she gets even the smallest spill on her clothes she tells me they're wet and she needs to take it off. Even when she's wearing a swimming suit she thinks she needs to take it off when it gets wet. It'll be interesting to see what she does when we start swim lessons next week. Hopefully actually being submerged in water will be different than just splashing around in a kiddie pool.

I'm having a really hard time keeping her clothed. Every time I turn around she doesn't have clothes on. Sometimes it's just one article of clothing. Other times she's stark naked. It's mostly when she goes potty on her own that she doesn't put her panties back on, but there are times she'll be sitting next to me on the couch and starts pulling her shorts and panties off. I've been tempted to duct tape her shirt and pants together, but that'll make this whole potty training thing more difficult!

She likes to run from my bedroom, down the hall to the family room over and over because Wedge follows behind her and she thinks it's so funny. She giggles the whole time!

She loves holding hands with her cousins!

When she asks for something and I tell her no (like a drink before bed) she says, "I said, I want milk". And again when I tell her no she says, "I mean it".

For a while I thought she was calling me "mommy sitter" and I couldn't figure out where she got that term. Whenever someone else watches her I never tell her she's going to a babysitter, I just tell her she's going to play at someone's house. Then one day she started reciting one of her books, "I'm a Big Sister" and I realized she's been calling me "mommy sister". She also calls Shelby "Shelby sister"... but most of the time she calls her "Shelby Belly".

No comments: