Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Poor Baby

Yesterday, Shasta and I took Wedge on a walk. Since we've been using the umbrella stroller I always hook Wedge's leash to the handle so I don't have to hold it.
Exhibit A
Sometimes when Wedge runs out in front and crosses to the opposite side that his leash is connected to the stroller it will brush the top of Shasta's head. Not a big deal.

Well, yesterday we stopped at the doggie station before setting off for our walk in case we needed to clean up after Wedge along the way. As we approached it I noticed there were a few people up the street that Wedge was curious about, but they were far enough away that it wasn't a big deal. I put the brakes on the stroller and as I was turning away to grab a doggie bag I noticed someone came out with a dog among the group of people. I didn't think much of it as I turned my back to finish what I was doing and the next thing I knew Shasta was crying hysterically.

I turned back to find Wedge on the other side of the stroller opposite the handle his leash was hooked to and his leash under Shasta's chin. I have no idea how it happened. The only thing I can think of is she grabbed onto the leash when he was out in front of her (she does that sometimes) and when he crossed sides she didn't have the ability to control it from rubbing her neck.

Anyway, I quickly moved out of sight of the people and dog that Wedge was so curious about so I could calm Shasta down without trying to keep Wedge afoot. She was really upset and everything happened so fast that I wasn't really sure why she wasn't calming down so easily. I thought maybe the leash momentarily choked her and scared her pretty good. Eventually she stopped crying and let me buckle her back up in her stroller and we went on our merry way.

Then, later that night I noticed this...
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
Exhibit D
Exhibit E
I'll be accepting my Mother of the Year Award now! It makes a lot more sense why she was so upset. The good news is, aside from all the crying right after it happened, she hasn't shown any signs of it bothering her. But still every time I see it my stomach knots up a little with guilt. I know I can't protect her from everything, but I'm the one who put Wedge's leash on the handle of her stroller and turned my back when I knew he was curious about the people and dog up the street from us. Sigh. Hopefully it will heal quickly so I don't have to feel so guilty anymore!

3 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

:( Poor girl. Seriously don't feel guilty. You could never have known that would happen. And kids are pretty forgiving. You know as soon as she stopped crying she was already over it. If it weren't for us and our picture taking- our kids would never know the kind of things we do to them. :)

Tannie Datwyler said...

I am SO sorry!! Poor baby and poor mom. Don't beat yourself up, we all do dumb things to our kids. They are resilient. I'm sure it will heal up soon.

AN Petersen said...

Ouch! Poor little girl. Dont beat yourself up too much over it. I can't even think about all the times I thought Matthew was fine and then come to find out he had some sort of real injury. Oh the days of being a mother.